According to the New York Times, Arsene Wenger will join FIFA as a Technical Director next month in a story that first began some time ago.
Although Arsene Wenger spoke recently about wanting to return to the dugout it would seem his next move will preclude that from happening.
Just last week he told Beinsports, “I still cannot live today with the fact that I will never be on the bench again. I would like to experience one more time the intensity of the competition.”
Now, The New York Times write, “Wenger, a 69-year-old Frenchman, has agreed to become FIFA’s technical head, though his official title with the organization has not been finalized. In the role, he will have a broad portfolio to suggest improvements to coaching standards across the world, while also providing advice on other areas that directly influence how the game is played. An official announcement of his hiring could be made in the next few days.
Since leaving Arsenal, Wenger has been linked with France, Fulham, AC Milan, Lyon, PSG, Bayern Munich, Fenerbache, Japan and others. But it is the governing body of world football corruption where he will find his new home.
Wenger was first linked with a job at FIFA back in March when it was claimed he had been shortlisted for a ‘massive role’ at the organisation.
Surprised at Wenger getting involved with a criminal enterprise like Fifa. Maybe he can change it for the better 🤷♂️
— Daily Cannon (@DailyCannon) March 7, 2019
It is expected that Wenger will serve as ‘special advisor’ to FIFA president, Gianni Infantino.
Personally, I can’t think of anyone better in the world to advise FIFA on how to change football for the better.
Pity they probably won’t listen to a thing he says…