Wenger confirm Arsenal star out for 2 more weeks, Gunners handed another big blow

Arsenal News HQ brings you the latest Arsenal news, match analysis, transfer news, injury news, team news and rumours from trusted media outlets around the world.

The season has not even started yet and Arsenal have been handed a massive blow ahead of their opening clash against Leicester City this Friday.

Arsene Wenger has ruled Alexis Sanchez out of Arsenal’s Premier League opener with Leicester on Friday due to an abdominal strain.

The Arsenal boss said that the Chile international is likely to be “out for a while” and is also doubtful for the following week’s game at Stoke.

However, Wenger insisted that Sanchez remains “focused” on playing for Arsenal this season amid continued speculation about his future, with Paris Saint-Germain reportedly lining up an £80 million offer.

Wenger says Sanchez suffered the strain in training on Sunday before the Community Shield against Chelsea and underwent a scan on Monday.

“He’s out for a while. I don’t know if it’s two weeks, or one more week,” Wenger told a news conference on Wednesday. “But he will not be available [against Leicester]. I think he will not play at Stoke.”

Sanchez returned late from his summer break, and Wenger said he would not have started him against Leicester even if he had been fit, though he acknowledged that the forward will be missed.

“Alexis Sanchez is always a loss for us, of course. But all the other players prepared in preseason and are ready,” Wenger said.

Loading...